Thursday, July 30, 2015

First Sentence

Throughout the years, people have told me that it's the first sentence of a book that makes you want to go on and read it. If this sentence is boring and faceless, the book is very likely to be boring and faceless, too. And throughout the years, I've found out that this is correct in most cases.
So I pulled down my favorite books and reread the first sentences. So here it is, a collection of first sentences- or at least the first two or three sentences- that will make you want to jump into the book's world immediately.



"When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold. My fingers stretch out, seeking Prim's warmth but finding only the rough canvas of the mattress. She must have had bad dreams and climbed in with our mother. Of course she did. This is the day of the reaping."
-The Hunger Games, Suzanne Colins

"Just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse I saw the dead guy standing next to my locker."
-Marked, PC Cast & Kristin Cast

"Everyone thinks it was because of the snow. And in a way, I suppose that's true."
-If I Stay, Gayle Forman

"The Missing Piece sat alone... waiting for someone to come along and take it somewhere."
-The Missing Piece Meets Big O, Shel Silverstein


"The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle."
-Paper Towns, John Green

"August 25, 1991
Dear friend,
I am writing to you because she said you listen and understand and didn't try to sleep with that person at that party even though you could have."
-The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Stephen Chbosky

"XTC was no good for drowning out the morons at the back of the bus."
-Eleanor & Park, Rainbow Rowell

"Just because you've picked up this book, you know, doesn't mean it belongs to you."
-Off the Page, Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer

"Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed, presumably because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, ate infrequently, and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death."
-The Fault in Our Stars, John Green

"There's these two kids, boys, sitting close together, squished in by the big arms of an old chair. You're the one on the left."
-Half Bad, Sally Green

"I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen."
-Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Ransom Riggs

"Five straight days she spent in front of the television, staring at crumbled banks and hospitals, whole blocks of stores in flames, several railed lines and expressways. She never said a word."
-After the Quake, Haruki Murakami

"In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since. ‘Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,’ he told me, ‘just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.’"
-The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Dear Kurt Cobain,
Mrs Buster gave us our first assignment in English class today, to write a letter to a dead person."
-Love Letters to the Dead, Ava Dellaira


Are the first few sentences important to you? Share some of your favorites on the comments.
Until the next post


Grnger♪


2 comments:

  1. I'll just say some of them because there are many :3

    "He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air."
    -The Maze Runner

    "She spoke to him before the world fell apart" (I love this one.)
    -The Scorch Trials

    "Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well."
    -Daughter of Smoke and Bone

    But I think that even if the 1st chapter isn't that interesting, we should give a chance to the book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all so great!♥
      We should definitely give a chnce to the book anyways, but when the first few sentences stir something inside the reader's soul I think it's an extra motive.

      Delete