Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson review



Synopsis from the back of the book:
Emily's best friend Sloane disappears, almost without a trace- the only thing left behind is a to-do list.
On it, thirteen Sloane-inspired tasks that wallflower Emily wouldn't normally do, and definitely not without her best friend. But what if completing the list could bring Sloane back?
Dance until dawn? Sure. Why not?
Kiss a stranger? Um...
Go skinny-dipping? Wait... what?
Emily only has the summer to check everything off Sloane's list. The question is, what will she find at the end of it?



Emily is a wallflower. She dares to talk to strangers only when Sloane is around and even then Sloane is more likely to do the talking. So when Sloane disappears she has to dare and do everything she could to find her. When she receives Sloane's list, she's hesitant. She has to cross everything off Sloane's list with the hope that this would bring Sloane back. What she hadn't predicted is that through this list she would come closer to Frank Porter and his best friend, two guys that she already new from school but could never see herself hanging around together. 


To check every single thing off the list, Emily has to change. At the end of the summer she should find herself having done things she couldn't even imagine, things not even the daring Sloane has done. What I loved the most is the character development Emily showed through out the book. However, not only Emily developed a lot. Each character had an aspect which had unfolded by the end of the book that could not be predicted in the beginning.



I gave it 5/5 stars.
When I first picked up this book, I was preety hesitant because the missing friend concept made me think it would bear resemblance to Paper Towns. Not only it had nothing to do with it (duh) but I felt more close to the Since You've Been Gone characters.
There were times that I could totally relate to how Emily felt, something that doesn't happen very often. The characters are very vibrant and they are so well described that it's like a movie in your head. I found myself screaming to the characters so often.
I loved the flashbacks that introduced the characters background. 

PLEASE SKIP THIS PARAGRAPH IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED BECAUSE I'M ABOUT TO GIVE A FEW SPOILER-ISH OPINIONS.
As I already mentioned, I yelled to the pages way too many times. The reason why? Fremily. Frank and Emily became my OTP by the time Frank was first mentioned even though nothing really happens for a long time. I loved the guy so much. His personality and the way he acted made me wish he could just appear in the real world. Another guy that literally made me scream was Gideon. This guy appears in like 40 pages or less yet I got to love him so badly. His broken heart and his sweetness made me want to jump into the book and hug him so tightly.


All in all, the book is utterly awesome. Romance, friendship and family. In a well-ordered universe everybody would read this book!


Here's the goodreads page of the book and Morgan Matson's web site for more information.
What about you? Have you read the book? Tell me in the comments bellow...

Until the next post... 



Grnger♪

No comments:

Post a Comment