Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Half Bad by Sally Green review

Hey, guys! Sorry for not posting for so long but it's time to make up for this. Last week I was busy with some read-a-thons on goodreads so I got to read a great amount of books, which means I have plenty of reviews etc for you!

I finally got to finish Half Bad by Sally Green, first book of The Half Bad trilogy, so here's my review!

Goodreads synopsis:
Wanted by no one. Hunted by everyone. Sixteen-year-old Nathan lives in a cage: beaten, shackled, trained to kill. In a modern-day England where two warring factions of witches live amongst humans, Nathan is an abomination, the illegitimate son of the most terrifying and violent witch, Marcus. Nathan's only hope for survival is to escape his captors, track down Marcus, and receive the three gifts that will bring him into his own magical powers - before it's too late. But how can Nathan find his father when there is no one  safe to trust, not even family, not even the girl he loves?
"A brilliant debut that is both deeply unique and unsettling, one that chilled me to the bone and broke my heart even as I sped through its pages. This will haunt you." -Marie Lu, author of Legend.


In a different modern-day England, where witches live amongst humans, fains, where white kill black witches and black witches kill white witches. Each witch should receive three gifts on their 17th birthday so they can have full powers. 



Nathan is a Half Code; half white witch, half black witch. He's never met his father and his mother committed suicide when he was younger. Every year had to go through an Assessment. On his 14th birthday, Nathan was captured, forced to live in a cage until he escaped. He lives a life facing constant prejudice from all sides, and he's just trying to survive until his 17th birthday so he can receive three gifts and become a full fledged witch.


The first half of the book, my favorite one, focuses on Nathan's background story and his family past along with his younger years. It offers more information about the witches and the Council. 
The romance in the book left me with mixed feelings. I liked the fact that the book doesn't focuses on it, but I could definitely see the story without it. Plus, it wasn't very gripping and believable.
The book also starts with a second person point of view. I kind of liked it but it turned out to be useless as after 20 pages or so, changes to a third person. So, why was it there?



However, I didn't really enjoy the last 150 pages. Even though most of the plot and point of the book is collected there, I felt like it paced way too slow and didn't explain some things. 
I will definitely go on with the series as the last book comes out next spring and a prequel and the second book are already out.


All in all, I quite enjoyed the book. It introduced me to a new world of witches and inspired me to read more witch books. I gave it 3/5 stars and I do recommend picking it up!


Here's the goodreads page of the book and the Half Bad World website for more information.

Have you read it? Are you thinking of picking it up? Tell me in the comments!

Until the next post...



Grnger♪

No comments:

Post a Comment